You don’t have to spend a fortune to give your home a facelift! There are plenty of simple and quick things you can do to help your home sell quickly & for the best price.
By taking a little bit of time on these items, you can put your best foot forward and make your home its most presentable for potential buyers during showings.
1. Kitchens and bathrooms can be a turn on or turn off. Replace an old appliance, changing an old toilet or upgrading the countertops can be affordable and do make a big difference.
2. De-clutter and then de-clutter some more. Make your home decor as lean and clean as a model home. In fact, taking a walk through a few model homes could give you some simple staging ideas that you can implement easily in your own home
3. Remove wallpaper and brighten up especially dark rooms with lighter colored paint. A neutral palette is best to help buyers have that emotional connection to your home.
4. Fix obvious defects like broken tile, torn screens, etc. Buyers may feel these minor flaws are hiding bigger issues, or they may ask for significant discounts for repairs that won’t actually cost you much to do.
5. Clean or replace the carpet and remember to keep the color neutral. If your carpet is bad and there are hardwood floors underneath, you may be able to get away with stripping the carpet and cleaning up the floors. Even if they aren’t perfect the buyer may prefer it to dirty carpet.
6. Ask your realtor to begin at the front curb and complete a curb to curb check up with you. They will be able to advise you where to invest based on market conditions and price point what improvements are a must do and what improvements would be an over do.
- Keep lawn mowed, trim hedges
- Store hoses neatly; be sure sprinklers don’t water walkways
- Remove or replace dead/dying plants
- Add color with blooming flowers
- Clear yard of all debris
- Sweep front walkway
- Paint, fix, or wash railings, storm drains, screens and doors
- Keep the floors clean and swept
- Store or neatly arrange all items
- Show maximum storage space
- Repair grout and caulking
- Repair running toilet or faulty plumping
- Replace burned out light bulbs
- Hang clothes neatly; store shoes in boxes
- Clean appliances, cabinets and floors
- Organize cabinets
- Sink should be spotless
- Clear and clean countertops
- Repair faucets and appliances
- Wash windows
- Quick once-over with vacuum
- Flowers in main rooms
- Play soft music and add air fresheners
- Keep pets out of the way
- Oil hinges, tighten knobs on doors and faucets
The Exceptional Home Team is the best source of information about the local community and real estate topics. Give us a call today at 612-250-2335 to learn more about local areas, discuss selling a house, or tour available homes for sale.